Monday, November 10, 2014

#MeatlessMonday: Roasted Butternut Squash Soup



If I had to pick a second favorite season, it might just be Autumn. Warm cozy sweaters, cute boots, warm apple cider, and delicious soups. The colorful changes of the leaves, not quite cold, but not too hot temps. I have to admit that I am fond of all of it. Especially the delicious soups!!


One soup that has become a staple in my diet in the autumn is butternut squash soup. I remember my mother making butternut squash soup a few times, usually for her day after Thanksgiving Dinner that she had with friends. It was always slightly sweet, but very savory. I have tried quite a few of the store-brought canned and boxed versions--everyone from Campbell's to Trader Joe's. None quite compared to hers. So I was determined to make some for myself. When the farmer's market across the street from my job had a bounty of them for a steal (you know that butternut squash is a fall favorite, and readily available and affordable in the autumn), I purchased two large ones and was excited to make my Mom's soup!



Typical me, though, I bought my butternut squash before asking if she knew where the recipe was. I mean, in my mind's eye, something so good would be readily available at a moment's notice. Right?


My mother hasn't made the soup in quite some time. So of course when I asked her if she knew where the recipe was, she stated that she didn't know where it could be. Mostly because between her move to Georgia with my Dad five years ago, and her overflow of clipped recipes, she can't locate it. I went through the few recipes she has still here in the Bronx, but to no avail. *sighs*

That only meant one thing: I turned to my favorite place to find recipes--Pinterest! (As a sidenote: is anyone else slightly obsessed with pinning recipes on Pinterest? I can't be the only one! And yes, I know I could have Googled butternut squash soup, but going on Pinterest was much more fun visually.)  I came across this recipe from Williams-Sonoma and it sounded not only simple to prepare, but also sounded like it shared some of the same flavors that I remembered from my Mom's original recipe.


One element that I loved about this recipe was the fact that instead of peeling, cubing and boiling the squash (or peeling, cubing, and then roasting the squash), you roasted the squash whole. Let me tell you, I live for this method! It allowed for such an easy time handling the squash once it was done roasting and has cooled to the touch. Slice it open, scoop out the seeds and then the sweet flesh, and you are all set to get to soup making!



I liked the soup as is when I first made the recipe. But then, I decided that it needed a bit more spice. The next night, when I had it for dinner, I added some red pepper flake and some South African Smoke Seasoning from Trader Joe's while re-heating it on the stove. Baby! That was the little something that had been missing! Add a fresh salad and a nice crusty multigrain bread and your Meatless Monday is complete!


Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
adapted from Williams-Sonoma.com 

Serves 8


Ingredients:

  • 2 large butternut squashes, each 1 1/2 to 2 lb.
  • 6 Tbs. (3/4 stick) unsalted butter
  • 2 onions, chopped (I used vidailia, but any yellow onion will do)
  • 8 fresh sage leaves, shredded
  • 6 cups vegetable stock or vegetable broth
  • Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
  • Trader Joe's South African Smoke Seasoning Blend, to taste*
  • Ground nutmeg, to taste, if needed
  • Pinch of sugar, if needed

Preparation:

Preheat an oven to 400°F.

Prick each squash with the tip of a knife so it will not explode when it bakes. Place the whole squashes on a baking sheet and roast until they feel somewhat soft to the touch and a knife penetrates the skin easily, about 1 hour. Remove from the oven and, when cool enough to handle, cut in half lengthwise and remove and discard the seeds and fibers. Scoop out the pulp into a bowl and set aside.

In a saucepan over low heat, melt the butter. Add the onions and half of the sage and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are tender and translucent, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the stock and squash pulp, raise the heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for a few minutes to combine the flavors. Remove from the heat.

Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender or food processor. Return to a clean saucepan. Alternatively, pass the soup through a food mill placed over the pan. Reheat gently over medium-low heat. Season with salt and pepper. If the squash is starchy rather than sweet, a little nutmeg will help. If the nutmeg does not give the proper flavor balance, add a pinch of sugar.

Ladle into warmed bowls and garnish with the remaining sage. Serve immediately.

*I absolutely love Trader Joe's South African Smoke seasoning blend, but I know not everyone lives near a Trader Joe's. You can substitute a mix of 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon of paprika, garlic powder & dried basil, to taste.

Nutritional Information (Based on entry into myfitnesspal.com)
Servings: 6; Calories per serving: 284; Fat: 23g; (Saturated: 14.6g; Polyunsaturated: 0.6g; Monounsaturated: 0.9g); Cholesterol: 61mg; Sodium: 874.6mg; Potassium: 426.3g; Carbs: 19.7g; Fiber: 3.3g; Sugars: 6.1g; Protein: 1.7g

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's Chat! I love comments!