It is definitely autumn here in NYC, and with autumn comes the new found pumpkin craze that sweeps over all things food. Pumpkin coffee, pumpkin cake, pumpkin spiced lattes, pumpkin casseroles...
Pumpkin, pumpkin, pumpkin, pumpkin, pumpkin everywhere!
I am definitely in the late majority when it comes to jumping onto the pumpkin craze. But, as a latecomer to the party, I knew I wanted my first foray to be a great one. I don't drink coffee, so any sort of coffee/latte drink was out. Plus, I've read that there is sometimes NO PUMPKIN in those drinks at all. Just a bunch of sugary liquids and flavorings to make you think there is pumpkin in it. Umm, no thanks!
I was doing my usual 2:00am perusing of Pinterest (don't act like it's just me--although I'm comfortable with myself if it is just me), and stumbled across a few recipes for pumpkin pancakes. Now, pancakes are cool, but I've always been a waffle girl. I love how your butter and syrup just kind of melt into the little nooks of the waffle. Of course with a few clicks, I found some really delicious sounding recipes for pumpkin waffles, but it was this recipe from Chocolate and Carrots that spoke to my healthy heart.
Caroline from Chocolate & Carrots makes her waffles with whole wheat flour instead of all purpose flour. Whole wheat flour is less processed than all purpose white flour, and also has more fiber per gram. Plus, there's no refined sugars in her recipe. These waffles gain just a hint of sweetness from two tablespoons of honey. These were hearty enough that I only needed to eat one to feel full and satisfied--and that was after a workout! They were absolutely delicious and smelled so good as they cooked up in my waffle iron. You could smell the cinnamon (and yes, the pumpkin) in these. Just warm and inviting. Add a dollop of butter and a drizzle of maple syrup, and you have the perfect autumn breakfast. This recipe uses a whole can of pumpkin, and the yield is between 6-8 waffles. So this might be a recipe to consider whipping up during the upcoming holiday season. Use up the last of your cans of pumpkin and feed the entire family a good and good for you breakfast. I personally look forward to making these the next time my parents come into town, and perhaps serving them with some apple chicken sausages (my mom needs some meat with her breakfast).
These freeze really well, too. So if you are a single person, like me, you can always make up a batch and then put them in individual freezer bags for a quick grab and go breakfast.
What are some of your favorite pumpkin recipes for this fall season? Have you tried pumpkin waffles before? Let me know in the comments below! And thanks to Caroline for an awesome recipe!
These freeze really well, too. So if you are a single person, like me, you can always make up a batch and then put them in individual freezer bags for a quick grab and go breakfast.
What are some of your favorite pumpkin recipes for this fall season? Have you tried pumpkin waffles before? Let me know in the comments below! And thanks to Caroline for an awesome recipe!

No comments:
Post a Comment
Let's Chat! I love comments!