![]() |
| Photo Credit: WillGallucci.com |
Hey y'all!
It's the second week of December and maybe you're like me in that even though Thanksgiving was more than a week ago, you are still feeling the effects of all that rich and delicious food on your body. Maybe it's just me. I also am feeling the after effects of a pretty nasty stomach bug on Friday. So my focus for this week is my version of a "detox". Lots more vegetables, a few green smoothies, and lots of green tea thrown in for good measure.
The star of my detox week is kale. I used to really dislike kale when I was a kid. It was just so bitter and strong. However, as I started on my healthy living journey, I started to learn more about this leafy green. Here's some more info on this powerhouse veggie from WebMd:
"One cup of chopped kale contains 33 calories and 9% of the daily value of calcium, 206% of vitamin A, 134% of vitamin C, and a whopping 684% of vitamin K. It is also a good source of minerals copper, potassium, iron, manganese, and phosphorus.
Kale’s health benefits are primarily linked to the high concentration and excellent source of antioxidant vitamins A, C, and K -- and sulphur-containing phytonutrients." (Source)
There are unique benefits to kale in both its raw and cooked forms, so I will be including both in my recipes for this week. I am actually looking forward to snacking on some kale chips while watching The Sing-Off this week. Yes, I love reality competition shows! I was super happy that Amber Riley won Dancing With The Stars, and I am rooting so hard for Tessann Chin to win The Voice! These shows are my guilty pleasure. Only I don't really feel that guilty in watching them. Especially now that I watch and indulge in healthy snacks. See? No guilt involved at all. Okay...I've digressed.
Onto this week's menu!
Meal Plan for Week of 12.9.13
Ms. Aja B.'s Green Smoothie
Morning Snack
Greek Yogurt with Slivered Almonds
Lunch
Kale Salad with Oranges, Almonds & Avocado (aka The Detox Salad)
Midday/Pre-Workout Snack
Applesauce
Dinner
Ginger Honey Cashew Chicken
Sauteed Spinach
Brown Rice
Evening Snack
Kale Chips
As always, for pictures of my recipes, be sure to follow me on Instagram and let me know what you will be making this week in the comments!

No comments:
Post a Comment
Let's Chat! I love comments!