If it weren't for comedian Erica Watson and her new healthy living group on Facebook, SensuWell Sirens, I probably wouldn't have wanted to even try a green smoothies again. I had tried them all of twice in my life before this past Tuesday. The first one I tried was a popular store brand green smoothie that was meh to say the least. I drank it, but in looking at the nutrition label, the 17g of sugar was a sad eye opener and not a good look. The other smoothie, I had purchased at a health food shop that made smoothies as part of a 21 day self-improvement challenge. My verdict? Meh, again.
![]() |
| Drink your greens! They'll do your curvy body good! |
However, when Erica created an "Ooo Baby I Like It Raw!" challenge for the month of April in the group. I was compelled to take part, and knew that this was a key opportunity to try and get some of these veggies in daily. So, I did my research and settled on a recipe from a great healthy living blog, Oh She Glows, but decided to give it my own twist (when do I not?) One of the lovely ladies in the SensuWell Sirens group had posted a recipe for a pear smoothie. It was similar enough to the recipe I found, except she added pears.
So, on the morning of April 2nd (because I didn't want to fool myself making this smoothie on April 1st. *snicker*) I pulled out the love of my culinary life my Ninja blender and got started.
I was happy that it didn't take long, as I was already running late (darn those late night but oh-so-necessary gal pal phone calls until midnight! They make for difficult getting up when the alarm rings at 5:45am. And again at 6:00am. And then again at 6:15am. But I digress.)
The results? Delicious! It was so good! I didn't taste the spinach at all. Some people add flax seeds, chlorophyll, and other proteins, etc. to their smoothies. I am so not at that point yet. I am going to get some protein powder though, to add to my next smoothie. I definitely plan on making this part of my daily routine.
I'm also excited about trying other green smoothie recipes now! Except those kale recipes. Drinking kale still scares me. *shudders* Much rather indulge on my kale in chip form.
Ms. Aja B.'s Simple Green Smoothie
adapted from Oh She Glows Green Monster Smoothie & Pear Smoothie from Sistah in the Raw
Yield: 1 serving/2 cupsIngredients:
•1 cup almond milk, or milk of choice (I used vanilla almond milk)
•1 ripe banana, peeled & frozen
•2 generous handfuls organic spinach
•1 pear, cored and roughly chopped (I used an Anjou pear, but most recipes I see call for a Bartlet. The Anjou worked wonderfully for me).
•1-3 ice cubes
•protein powder of choice, optional
Directions:
Add your milk of choice, spinach, and if you are using it, protein powder, to the blender. Blend for about 30 seconds. Add the banana and pear. Blend until smooth. Add in your ice cubes and blend some more. Serves 1- about 2 cups.
Have you tried a green smoothie yet? Do you love them? What do you put in yours?

No comments:
Post a Comment
Let's Chat! I love comments!