Note: This post was partially inspired by Ms. Gina Brotherton's post on her fab weight loss journey blog Vanishing Vixen! For those of you who have had WLS and are looking for a voice and source of inspiration, she is a shining example of what success after WLS can look like! Thanks for the inspiration, Gina!
_____________________________________________________________
“Don’t say you don’t have enough time. You have exactly the same number of hours per day that were given to Helen Keller, Pasteur, Michaelangelo, Mother Teresa, Leonardo da Vinci, Thomas Jefferson, and Albert Einstein.” — H. Jackson Brown
_____________________________________________________________
“Don’t say you don’t have enough time. You have exactly the same number of hours per day that were given to Helen Keller, Pasteur, Michaelangelo, Mother Teresa, Leonardo da Vinci, Thomas Jefferson, and Albert Einstein.” — H. Jackson Brown
You can learn alot from a recovering addict.
Wait, before you snicker or dismiss the thought, let me explain.
For the past three years, I have had the opportunity to listen in on the Narcotics Anonymous meeting that takes place every Wednesday night at the substance abuse recovery center where I work. Part of the meeting every week is where the secretary welcomes everyone to the meeting and discusses some of the rules of this particular meeting and of NA. One part that always grabs me is that they tell newcomers to adopt a slogan. There are two that I have always loved, my favorite being "Give it T.I.M.E-Things I Must Earn". Living a full life in recovery is not something that just happens. It is an one day at a time process. With each day that passes, comes more victories won. But things won't just fall into place the way you might want them to without putting in the work. If you want a sustained life in recovery, you have to earn it. For a recovering addict who believes in the NA philosophy, that means making meetings & using the tools outlined in their 12 Steps.
Over the course of my weight loss journey, the concept of T.I.M.E. has meant even more to me. There is no easy way to get healthy and lose weight. If you want to see those inches drop away, if you want to see that scale move (although I am a firm believer that you should not be a slave to the scale), then you have to put in the TIME. You have to earn it. I didn't put on this weight in a day. So it isn't going to come off in a day. But it will come off at a healthier rate if I am putting in the time and effort it takes to make it so.
- If I want a piece of chocolate, I have to earn it by eating right throughout the day and actually having the calories remaining in the day to be able to have it. And even after that, I must ask myself if I am eating this chocolate because I am hungry, or is there something else going on that I am not addressing (but that is a different post for a different day).
- If I want to be able to enjoy a "Treat Day" it has to be after I have completed no less than four days of exercise during the week.
- As the saying goes, there is no out exercising bad food choices & bad diet. If I want to see the results, then I must be conscious of what I eat and take the time to prepare my meals, take them to work, have healthy snacks on hand at all times, drink my daily amount of water, etc.
I'm almost one year into my healthy lifestyle change. April 16th is the one year "anniversary" of my first personal training session with Todd. And, I've almost reached my goal for my 1st year. I didn't give up on myself. I didn't quit when the scale didn't seem to be budging. I gave it TIME. I put in the work. And now, I can see the slightest glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel. That doesn't mean that there aren't days when I don't get frustrated. I just refuse to let it deter me this time. I also accept fully that much like a recovering addict, it is a one day at a time process, and that it will be a constant one if I wish to maintain what I've lost.
Yes, I am losing weight, but I am gaining so much more. I've gained physical strength. I've gained physical stamina. I've gained a new lease on my life. My views on life are changing, too. Some of the things that were so important to me, are not as much now. I'm creating new goals for myself personally and professionally as well. Most importantly, I'm accepting more and more that while some might be happy for me, some might not, and that is okay because for once, I'm doing something solely for ME.
If you are on your own weight loss journey--or whatever personal journey you are on right now where you are striving for a goal--I encourage you to KEEP GOING! It won't be easy the whole way, but the TIME that you put in will be equal to the results that come out.
Until next time, folks! *hugs*
Yes, I am losing weight, but I am gaining so much more. I've gained physical strength. I've gained physical stamina. I've gained a new lease on my life. My views on life are changing, too. Some of the things that were so important to me, are not as much now. I'm creating new goals for myself personally and professionally as well. Most importantly, I'm accepting more and more that while some might be happy for me, some might not, and that is okay because for once, I'm doing something solely for ME.
If you are on your own weight loss journey--or whatever personal journey you are on right now where you are striving for a goal--I encourage you to KEEP GOING! It won't be easy the whole way, but the TIME that you put in will be equal to the results that come out.
Until next time, folks! *hugs*


No comments:
Post a Comment
Let's Chat! I love comments!