So I guess that is why even though the weather forecasters were saying from Friday night on that this storm was going to hit the east coast like nothing we had ever seen before, we didn't think that things would be THAT bad.
It was worse than bad. Worse than I think even the biggest worriers like me could have truly thought.
![]() |
| Atlantic City boardwalk, post-Sandy |
The boardwalk at Atlantic City, by all accounts, and all photographs, is gone. Only the wooden support beams stick up in the last bits of sand that did not go out to sea or get swept into boardwalk shops and homes with the water surge.
There are areas of Queens, Staten Island, the Jersey Shore, that not only had to deal with the winds and water of Sandy, but also had to deal with fires on top of that. There are entire city blocks that are simply gone. Burned to the ground. Houses washed out to sea.
![]() |
| The darkness of lower Manhattan post-Sandy. |
And it wasn't only Zone A people who were affected. My friend Renee lost everything in her apartment, which was in Canarsie (which is not in Zone A), when the waters crossed from a swampy marsh across a street and into her garden apartment front door and up through her tub and toilet. She barely got out without being electrocuted. And she's lost everything! Her story is one of several thousands of people and families who are now forced with the task of starting over. Renee has a great network of support on FB. People have rallied around her with the quickness, because if it was the other way around, I know she would do the same thing and then some.
I worry about those who have no one but themselves to rely on, and limited resources.
Still, this is New York. While things are bad, they could have been even worse by all standards. Times like these always bring out the best in most people. Facebook and Twitter are spreading the word about free food, water and gasoline giveaways throughout the 5 boroughs. People are donating money, clothing, food, blood, whatever they can. The clean up process for certain areas of NYC is going to take weeks for some, months for others, and sadly, even years for others. But it will happen.
I am blessed beyond measure that I only lost power for about five minutes. I was slightly inconvenienced in having to sit in line for 2 hours to get gas so I can get to work next week. My family and friends are all alive--some displaced, some with only the clothing on their back, but we are all alive. Blessed. Just blessed. I keep thanking God, and will never stop thanking Him.
I love New York. I am proud to call myself a New Yorker. We endure, we survive, and then, we come out even stronger than before.
"New York, concrete jungle where dreams are made of
There's nothin' you can't do
Now you're in New York
These streets will make you feel brand new
Big lights will inspire you
Let's hear it for New York, New York,
New York..." ~ Jay-Z feat. Alicia Keys, Empire State of Mind
================================
I'm taking part in National Blog Posting Month! Join me!


No comments:
Post a Comment
Let's Chat! I love comments!