In 120 days the new habit is who you are.
In a 1,000 days you have mastered the new habit."
- From the Kundalini Yoga Mantras website
"Stuntin is a habit...get like me!" - David Banner, "Get Like Me" [don't judge me.]
On April 16, I started working out with a personal trainer. I'd met Todd through a health & weight loss Meetup group several years ago and like many people, we came across each other again on Facebook. I decided that I would give personal training a try. I knew from past experience that going to the gym on my own was not going to cut it. For 12 weeks, three days a week (for the most part--we had a very rainy 12 weeks it seemed) I was in Pelham Bay Park, doing modified push-ups, modified jumping jacks, squats, rowing with resistance bands, and walking, walking and more walking. I tried my best to eat better (I can admit that I could have done a LOT better with that). After a few weeks, my clothes felt better on my body. And I felt....lighter. Today, I jumped on my scale, just for the fun of it (I hadn't planned on weighing myself until tomorrow morning).
In that 12 weeks, I lost 16 pounds.
I was elated! I had thought maybe five, since I know that for all I did do, I could have gone MUCH harder. If I lost 16 pounds on three days a week and only eating partially well, then what could I do if I really gave it my all?
A young lady by the name of Dee on Facebook, who has lost almost 200 pounds, put a challenge out there to her Facebook friends. A 90 day challenge. I had already decided to sign up for the next 12 weeks of personal training, but this 90 day challenge solidified it for me. If nothing changes, then nothing changes. I will not get to where I want to be by doing things "half-assed".
I need to make healthy a habit. If I can take time to sit and browse on Facebook, I can take the time to track everything I eat and drink in the day. I can make lunch everyday and take it to work. I can work out four days a week....five days a week, even if it just walking for 30 minutes. I need to make me and my health my number one priority.Not because I am suffering from health concerns, but because I don't want to in the future. I don't take care of myself often enough.
90 days to confirm a habit? Bring it on! It is only the start on a journey to a lifetime of health.
"Healthy is a habit...get like me!" ~ Ms. Aja B.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Let's Chat! I love comments!