I didn't really plan for my first salad for The Salad Suite to be a non-conventional salad, but this one is definitely worthy of being the first one up!
I've wanted to make a quinoa salad since relocating, but wasn't sure how it would be received with my folks. They have taken to healthy eating very slowly. I've sold my Dad on my green smoothies, but my Mom isn't going for it (she can't get past the color). I made the mistake of telling them I was going to make gluten-free brownies with avocados, and the faces they made--well, let's just say that recipe is going to have to wait.
They both really like quinoa hot, which I consider a huge step forward. Still, I knew that the idea of quinoa in a salad might be met with skepticism. I was so glad I came across this herbed quinoa garden veggie salad from Lindsay of Pinch of Yum. It came across my feed on Pinterest at just the right time! I was looking for a quinoa salad that was light, but filling, and full of flavor. Chile, this salad delivers all of that and then some.
Did you know that quinoa is one of the most protein-rich foods you can eat? Yup! It also has twice as much fiber as most other grains. It's no wonder that it has a classification as a "Super Food". I also love that is is versatile enough to be served along side your favorite fish or other protein, it can be used in soups or stews, and yes, it can even be chilled and turned into a deliciously filling and satisfying salad.
The dressing for this herbed quinoa salad is light and crisp, with just the slightest hint of sweetness from the agave nectar. Lindsay said in her post that the quinoa just soaks up the dressing, and she is right. I followed her choices of herbs for her salad (green onions, fresh basil and dried parsley). I used baby spinach instead of romaine lettuce, because I had a bunch of spinach already on hand and, let's be honest, it's my favorite leafy green.
I also added a bit of a no-salt added herb seasoning to the dressing. Because: why not?
"It's good," my Mom said as she tried just a spoonful. "There's a flavor in there that is just so--fresh!"
"Maybe the basil?" I said between chewing. ( I was already on my second helping. Don't judge me.)
"Maybe. But this is actually really good! I bet it's going to be even better tomorrow when the dressing really goes all through it," she said as she helped herself to an entire serving.
Winning!
Get the recipe here: Herbed Quinoa Garden Veggie Salad from Pinch of Yum


No comments:
Post a Comment
Let's Chat! I love comments!