It is amazing how when someone dies, everyone seems to stop and do a personal inventory. They look at their life and inevitably, some ask themselves, "If I died today, what is my contribution to the world? What is my legacy?"
On May 10, 2011, it was announced by Plus Model Magazine that Plus Model Mia Amber Davis had passed away. At the time of my writing this, the details behind her death are as yet unknown, but for me, are unimportant when compared to having to comprehend that this woman who stood for so much within the Plus Community is now gone.
Mia Amber Davis
I wasn't close to Mia like so many of my friends, colleagues and associates on Facebook, but it did not lessen the blow of hearing that she passed. What strikes me the most--what I think we can all learn from Mia--is that she lived her life. From TV producer, to actress, to plus size model on both the runway and in print ads, she shined proudly as a plus size woman that we could all look up to because she was one of us! Unlike some plus models who would not want to even begin to want to admit that they had ever been told they were not attractive because of their weight, Mia acknowledged knowing how it felt to be discriminated against because of her size. She told women to proudly love the skin they are in, and to not listen to the media and what they deemed to be beautiful.
It's times like these when you realize that life is short. No one is promised tomorrow sounds so cliche, but truer words have never been spoken. It saddens me so that we will not longer be able to see her strut her stuff on "Rip the Runway" or see her pose in the fabulous fashions from Monif C., Ashley Stewart, or BGU. Mia was a statuesque beauty, a true Super Model in the Plus Model industry. She has left behind in her too short life a legacy of purpose. We cannot be scared to do the things that we want in life because all too soon, life can be gone. I cannot count the times that I stopped myself from doing something my heart yearns to do because of fear--fear of failure, fear of success, fear of the unknown. But I do not want to be known as the one who had all the ideas, but just never quite realized them. I don't want anyone speaking about me saying "she COULD HAVE been something great." And while greatness is not promised to everyone, I would much rather be remembered as someone who boldly dared to do it than someone who was too scared to even try.
Mia is a woman who boldly dared.
Mia Amber Davis, I thank you for all that you have done for the Plus Community. I am so sad that you are gone. I am sad for your family and friends who I know love you beyond measure and are at such a loss without you. I thank you for being such an inspiration to a generation of plus size women who, because of you, can look into a mirror and tell themselves that they are beautiful, and can dare to rip a runway with the poise and grace that you have. May your soul rest in peace. And to quote Kim Coles, "Teach the angels to pose."

No comments:
Post a Comment
Let's Chat! I love comments!