So...what I have to say is NOT going to be popular. At all. In fact, a lot of the associates that I have within the plus size community will not like what I have to say. But, it must be said.
For as many plus size fashionista bloggers that there are in the blogsphere, it is a shame that most of you are missing the point. And quite frankly still don't get it.
I have read quite a few reviews of the new fashion line Miss Tina by Tina Knowles (aka Beyonce's Mom) has debuted at Walmart. One thing that I have noticed is that many bloggers have praised Ms. Knowles for her "size diversity" in that her line starts at a size 2 and goes up to a size 20.
*insert record skipping scratch here*
I'm sorry, but for a clothing line to go up to a size 20 does NOT show size diversity. As is usually the case with fashion, it shows that unless you are smaller than a 24, you are not going to get affordable and stylish clothing. When I first checked out the line, I was so excited about several of the pieces. Until I saw that the line stopped at a size 20. Now, Walmart does have a plus size line--it carries Just My Size up to a size 30/32. However, Just My Size is considerably more casual pieces. Why can't a woman size 24 and up get something that is sassy, affordable, and--dare I say it--on trend? And when we CAN get something absolutely lovely and stylish, why does a simple dress have to be $100+ dollars?
*sighs*
I am not a fashionista. So maybe I just don't get it. I am just someone who wishes that all of these celebrities--and even some of the plus size designers that I truly adore and have featured on Belle-Noir in the past--would create their designs in a size above a 24. Is it that designers don't think that women who are a size 24 or above care about how we look? Do you think that we don't care about what we wear because we are larger than what society might consider acceptable even as a plus size woman? Is it just discrimination? Is it a financial issue? I really do want to know. I have seen a lot of petitions going around to convince retail chains to include plus size designers in their stores. I must say that if they listen, but only carry up to a size 20, I will severely regret signing that petition.
Maybe it is a plus community vs. size acceptance community issue. In a world where the plus community is a movement, I would see bloggers critiquing these new fashion lines, but wondering why the lines stop at a 20. Even most department stores carry up to a 24 (we will discusss where the plus size clothing sections are in relation to other departments in another post, but you get the point). Instead, I find that since most plus fashionistas fall within the size ranges of all of these new fashion lines, they don't see the problem with a jeans line that goes up to only an 18 but is calling itself a plus size line (waving at Cookie Johnson). They don't speak up when an affordable and pretty stylish line only goes up to a 20. They just applaud that a line that is largely straight sizes has thrown a bone at some plus size gals by fitting at least SOME of us.
Meanwhile, the size acceptance movement is seemginly more worried about other issues and could care less about fashion (more about that in another post too).
Either way, I intend to try and do something about it. I just have to rally the troops! In the meantime, I need to know...are there more of you out there feeling the frustration? I'm not trying to start any beefs. I applaud all of my plus fashionistas because you have all made the fashion world and media take notice! And I get and respect that the plus modeling industry has its own set of standards and rules. But as for the everyday plus size woman? Let us be careful about praising designers who throw the plus community scraps. Inclusion should include ALL plus size women, not just some.

Aja...I agree with you.
ReplyDeleteI didn't check out Tina's line...over-rated in my opinion. I will say THIS...There are name brands that go to our size, but you've hit it...it costs a small fortune to dress ourselves outside of the "sweats" and "burlap sacks".
Over the past 2 weeks, I've spent $800 to purchase clothing that I can wear for this upcoming season. I was mad for 2 reasons: I bought new clothes because my ass couldn't get into the ones I had last season AND even my folks at Lane Bryant had me shelling out over $100 for 2 pieces because I needed a black suit!
I bought some versatile pieces that I could mix and match, but yes...I went to many stores and found ONE dress on the clearance rack at walmart that actually was my size. Ok, I'm finally accepting that I'm not a 14 anymore but I'm a 20-24 (yanno...whatever the designer or brand the size goes from here to there). So, I had to get clothes that fit me because I was tired of looking frumpy in jeans and a tee or feeling like a sausage because I was not one with those size 18 jeans anymore.
It hurts that I can't go somewhere and spend a reasonable amount of money on clothes that fit and are stylish. NO, I don't need a pair of snakeskin leggings, but it would be nice to find a blazer and a shell with some matching pants. GURL...I thought I was doing something by ordering some boots from one of our favorite sites to remain nameless, and I was very disappointed to put them on this morning, to find that they couldn't zip above my ankle because they were falsely advertised to be for "larger calves". Shoot...have I missed the threshold or what?!
I could go on and on about this...but yeah...a self proclaimed Fat Girl could use a break and some deals on clothing and shoes. Why can't I shop of the clearance rack and get clearance prices? I'm beautiful but SO tired of being forced to be frumpy because there's NOTHING that I can fit that can also fit my wallet. So yea,I had to put off purchasing my ticket for my birthday vacation so that I don't have have to freeze and at least look half way decent.
(ok...off the soapbox)
Wow, this is an excellent piece and I hope the right eyes read it and take it to heart. Fashion does not stop with a size 20!
ReplyDeleteAlthough I am not plus size I have many that are near and dear to me that are and it is crazy they offerings that they have for women who are over size 18. For the most part the clothing is matronly, excessive in price and made with the worst fabric in creation.
I recently opened an online store and part of my frustration is finding wholesales who offer plus size clothing that is on trend and if not on trend at least desirable.
Unfortunately, the society we live in believes that if you are over a certain size you should not exist and that on the ogre role and find a cave to hide. That is disgusting and unfair. Too many beautiful people both inside and out are in the 24+ size of the sizing zone and they deserve fashion that express who they are as a person and not as a tape measurement.
My bff is a larger than life amazing woman and when she steps out she looks amazing! I have never been embarrassed to be seen with her because she is a wonderful person and her appearance is on point. Although she has found some amazing sales, she has also paid a pretty penny for some basic items.
I am committed to finding fashions for every woman to flaunt her style no matter the size for a reasonable and affordable price for my store.
I appreciate your blog. Keep up the good work.
as someone over size 26 i totally get your point
ReplyDeleteI agree, these "Fashion designers" need to realize that women size 20+ want and deserve stylish clothes that fit the right way all around our bodies. Great factual post, thanks!
ReplyDeleteI don't understand how they don't get it and fat folks have been around FOREVER. It seems as if retailers are snubbing plus size people. 18 is skinny in the bbw community! The could make a killing if they got it through their heads that we want cute clothing that isn't 'specialty', that is, costly.
ReplyDelete