Thursday, September 5, 2013

Snack Time: "Not-tella" Chocolate Hazelnut Spread

I love Nutella. It is one of my favorite nut spreads. My introduction to Nutella was in elementary school, when one of my classmates would bring in Nutella sandwiches for lunch every day. I remember the first time I saw it, and I eagerly ran home to tell my parents that she had brought in a "chocolate" sandwich. Of course, they didn't understand what I was talking about. Years later, I saw Nutella in a store, and tried it for myself.

Pure. Deliciousness.

Unfortunately, while the original is still very much a yummy treat, the 21 grams of Sugar in each serving is a bit high for me as I try more & more to eat clean.

So, while researching recipes, I came across this recipe for homemade "Not-tella". It is super easy to make. Seriously. The hardest part was roasting the blanched nuts for 10 minutes. Other than that? It was done in about 15 minutes. The results?

Pure. Deliciousness. Times 1,000. And with only 3.7 grams of sugar this time! 

*insert my happy dance here* 

Throw it into a air tight jar or container & store it in your refrigerator. I loved this spread between two sandwich thins topped with a sliced banana for a quick snack. They might also make an appearance as a dip for some honey wheat pretzel sticks on Treat Day. We shall see. Might also be yummy on some warm toasted whole wheat bread. Mmmm....just the thought has me eager to go have some right now.

Don't just sit there. Grab up these ingredients and make yourself some. Now.


"Not-tella" Chocolate Hazelnut Spread
adapted from Civilized Caveman Cooking
Serves: 8

Ingredients

1 cup blanched hazelnuts
1/4 cup full fat coconut milk
2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 Tablespoons pure maple syrup
1/4 teapoon vanilla
A pinch of salt
Preheat your oven to 350°F

Preparation

On a parchment lined baking sheet, roast your hazelnuts for 10 minutes. A silicon pad can be used here as well.

Add your hazelnuts to your food processor of choice (I used a Ninja). Blend nuts until smooth and creamy.

Add coconut milk,cocoa powder, maple syrup, vanilla and salt to processor. Blend until nice and smooth.

All done! Tastes great warm and out of the refrigerator cold. Transfer your goodness to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's Chat! I love comments!