Saturday, October 30, 2010

Note to Maura Kelly: Fat People on TV is Nothing New--At Least, Not To Me

So, a lot of people have been commenting on the post on MarieClaire.com from blogger Maura Kelly. For the record, I do think that the post has a disgrace. Of all of the responses I've read, I give two big thumbs up (pun intended) to the ladies over at Gemini Magazine for an equally humorous and well thought-out response.

I have received a few notes from people asking me where I stood (or for that matter Belle-Noir Magazine stood) on the whole ordeal. I personally have not watched Mike and Molly (I think it comes on against another show I watch and I honestly just miss it). But for me, personally, watching plus size people on TV is nothing new.

On sit-coms that are about Black families or that have had Black actors & actresses in leading roles, there have always been plus size characters on TV. Anyone remember "Give Me A Break" with actress Nell Carter? She was plus size, large and in charge. What about actress Esther Rolle as Florida Evans on "Good Times" and actress Shirley Hemphill who played Shirley Wilson, the waitress on Good Times? The matriarch and patriarch of the Winslow family on "Family Matters" were portrayed by Reginald VelJohnson and Jo Marie Payton respectively, two wonderful actors who would both be considered plus size. Even today, on the Tyler Perry hit "House of Payne", Curtis and Ella Payne are a loving married couple (and there is no mistaking their being clearly plus size).

(Please note: this is NOT a commentary on the roles of Black actors on television, per se. I already know that people will balk at my mentioning "Give Me A Break" and Shirley from Good Times as not being romantically involved on their shows. This is more about the idea of plus size people being on TV.)

And...just for the record....Mike and Molly are *not* the first plus size White couple on TV either. Anyone remember a little show called "Roseanne"?

Is the difference that Mike & Molly has been openly publicized as a show about the relationship between two plus size people? I'm not sure. But what I do know is that this completely reminds me of an article that Ms. Cassandra Jones-McBryde wrote for DailyVenusDiva.com about cultural differences in the plus community. The article discusses how there is a difference in the curvy community when it comes to how plus size is seen in the eyes of white women and black women. Truly a thought-provoking read, and one that I hope more people take a moment to consider.

It disturbs me that Marie Claire thought it okay to publish Maura Kelly's blog post. Perhaps they did it knowing that the plus blogging community would spring into action. It would get their name out in the open (note: "all publicity is good publicity"), get people buzzing about them, etc. If we are all so outraged that Marie Claire has let this post slip through the cracks, the best weapon would be to stop hash tagging them on Twitter, stop linking to their website in posts about Ms. Kelly, etc. If you are really up in arms, cancel your subscription. Today. Right now. Because for the publishing world, money is what talks.

Also, please note: articles like the one from Ms. Kelly are exactly the reason why there needs to be just as much focus on advocacy in the plus community as their is industry in the plus community. But again, that is another post for another day.

Thoughts, ladies & gents? I welcome them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's Chat! I love comments!